Workers Compensation

Workers Compensation Lawyer

Matt has been representing injured workers in New Hampshire since he started practice in 1983. He is skilled at gathering the evidence necessary to prove that an injury is work related. Matt fights hard to win the wage benefit that injured workers need to support their families and the medical benefits to pay their bills.

Matt can help you with the claims filing process. He can explain your rights under workers’ compensation laws. Has your claim been denied? Matt can help!

Matt has represented injured workers in hundreds of Department of Labor hearings with great success.
Once it has been established that an injury is work related, and wage benefits and medical bills are being paid, Matt is very adept at securing lump sum settlements and permanent impairment awards.

Case Results and Settlements

Settlement of $525,000 for a man who suffered head and neck injuries when a sign pole fell and hit him.

Settlement of $250,000 for a man who suffered bi-lateral shoulder injuries while working as a lineman for a telecommunications company.

Settlement of $200,000 for a machinist who suffered a low back injury.

Settlement of $170,000 for an HVAC installer who suffered significant back and neck injuries.

Settlement of $150,000 for a woman who suffered a closed head injury when a service elevator door struck her on the head.

Matt has been successfully representing clients in worker’s compensation claims since he started practicing in 1983. He has handled hundreds of cases, and regularly appears before the New Hampshire Department of Labor in Concord.

“$525,000 for a man who suffered head and neck injuries.”

Workers Compensation Related Questions

What should I do if I get injured while at work?

If you have gotten hurt at work. tell your employer as soon as possible, and fill out form 8aWCA, (which is an accident report) right away. Your employer will give you this form. Make sure that you keep a copy of it for yourself. You actually have up to 2 (two) years to report an injury or illness that occurred in the workplace, but it is, of course, far better to report it right away.

What is my employer’s responsibility in reporting my injuries?

New Hampshire law states: “Every employer or self-insurer shall record in sufficient detail and shall report or cause to be reported to the commissioner any injury sustained by an employee in the course of employment as soon as possible, but no later than (5) days after the employer learns of the occurrence of such an injury.”

If an employer fails to file a First Report of Injury, the employer may be subject to a fine of up to $2,500.00.

What benefits does New Hampshire’s Workers’ Compensation law provide?

The Workers’ Compensation law states that if you are hurt at work, workers’ compensation will pay your medical bills. It will pay 60% of your lost wages if you have missed more than three days of work. You may also receive a permanent impairment award and vocational assistance if you need help returning to work. All employers by law must provide workers’ compensation insurance.

Will I still receive workers’ compensation benefits if the accident was my fault?

Yes. Workers’ compensation covers all employees. It doesn’t matter whose fault the cause of the injury was. Employees can receive workers’ compensation in most cases, even if they are part-time or just temporary.

Can I choose my own doctor?

Yes. If you are hurt at work in the state of New Hampshire, you have the right to choose your own doctor. In addition, you have the right to get a second opinion on your injury from another doctor. In almost all cases, you have the right to choose any doctor you want.

Who decides if I am entitled to receive workers’ compensation benefits?

Your workers’ compensation carrier (or your employer if it is self-insured) will initially decide your eligibility in receiving the benefit. However, that is not the end of the story.

What if I feel my claim has been wrongly denied?

If your workers’ compensation carrier denies your claim, you must not give up. Sometimes insurance companies will initially deny a claim for any number of reasons, which could include things like not having enough medical documentation. You have the right to request a hearing at the Department of Labor so that you may dispute the denial in person. Hearings are held at the Department of Labor building in Concord before administrative officers. You have up to 18 months from the date of the denial to request a hearing.

Should I hire an attorney to represent me?

In most circumstances hiring an attorney who specializes in workers’ compensation law is a prudent choice. The attorney will have experience and expertise in this area and will know what the best plan of action. If your claim is initially denied, the attorney will request a hearing before the Department of Labor in Concord. The attorney will represent you on a contingent fee basis, no fee unless you win.